Monday, January 04, 2010

Back from the World--Back to the World

I spent a relaxing and enjoyable winter break with my wife an kids, who are growing up fast, but will always be my kids. We celebrated Solstice, Christmas and New Years.
But mostly we sat around a table with some books, some pens and paper and way too many dice playing D&D.
We started a new campaign with new characters in a new world—always the most exciting part of D&D because in the beginning anything is possible and the story can go anywhere. We decided to be Private Inquisitors, PI’s, in a big city with a grimy underbelly where nothing is what it seems to be. That meant I had to start coming up with mysteries to solve and clues to follow, villains to chase and be chased by, unexpected friends and allies. And the girls had to discover who their characters are and what they want them to become.
We had a great time, exploring together, creating a new world together.
But now the calendar has turned a page and we must leave our fantasy world and return to the work and school world. We like our “real lives” but it is also nice knowing that our “fantasy” world will be waiting for us to visit again some weekend, hopefully not too far in the future.

We will see what the world of 2010 has to throw at us….
Jay
--------------------------------------
Echoes: I used to have that picture on my wall as a kid. I suppose Jung or Freud would have a thing or two to say about that. It was one of many pictures taped up next to my Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Bruce Lee posters. It is by Patrick Woodroffe. I liked the dual nature of it and the fact that you could turn it upside down.




No comments: