Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Reading Saul Williams


Saul Williams is an artist of words.
He has been around for quite a while, but only recently discovered by me.
Lately I have been swimming in him, soaking in his words, being penetrated by his energy. In the last week I have read three of his books, SHE, said the shotgun to the head, and The Dead EMCEE Scrolls.
Wow.
Saul is a poet, timeless and yet timely.
I am grateful to have discovered his words.

This is but a brief sample:

they say
that i am a poet

i wonder what
they would say
if they saw me
from the inside

i bottle
emotions
and place them
into the sea
for others
to unbottle
on distant shores

i am unsure
as to weather
they ever reach
and for that matter
as to whether
i ever get
my point
across

or my love

even my pen man ship
throws thoughts overboard
into a black sea

and how many thoughts perish
before they reach the page?


--- Saul Williams, SHE, 1999

1 comment:

Ronnie Larsen said...

great photo...lovely poem...i love how you keep revealing your life and interests, mr. larsen. keep it up.