Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Super Secret Process Revealed

I know there are lots of industrial spies just waiting to figure out how I produce my top-selling paintings, so it is probably going to kill my art career posting these pictures. But if all 23 of my readers promise not to tell anyone, I will probably get away with this. Otherwise, the art market will be flooded with cheap rip offs, so keep this to yourself and don’t tell anyone. It’s a secret.

I am in the middle of a new painting. I don’t know what it is called yet, names come last.
I started by laying down a base of solid colors in acrylic, just so the canvas wouldn’t be white anymore. Then I laid the canvas flat and splashed on some very wet yellow, red, purple and black ink. Lots of black and lots of yellow.

While all this wet ink was running and bleeding I took a big piece of plastic (the plastic bag from the art supply store actually) folded it up like a big paper fan. Then I spread out the plastic and lowered it onto the wet canvas so that the fan lines all spread out from the center of the canvas. The plastic touches wet paint and ink in some places (the low parts of the fan) and doesn’t touch in others (the high points of the fan).

Then I left the whole thing to dry for a day or so. The paint and ink dries slower where the plastic touches it and faster where the air can get in. It also leaves distinct ridges in the paint where the edges are. This causes the paint and ink to create random shapes that are very geologic in appearance.

I then went scavenging through magazines for pictures and patterns of interest. I cut them out and saved them for later.

When the plastic came off, I got to see the pattern produced for the first time. Then I played around with different placements of the paper cutouts, looking for patterns that I like.

That is where I am with this one. Later (probably this weekend), I will lay on some more paint to enhance the pattern and start gluing down paper. I’ll post another update letting you (all 23 of you) know how it turned out. Keep your fingers crossed. If I screw this one up it would be kind of embarrassing at this point. But if things come together, it might be a work of art.

No comments: