Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Why Question?


Are answers better than questions?
Is faith better than doubt?
I don’t know about you, well I don’t know ALL about you, but I have found through experience that it is questions and doubt that keep me moving forward.
Questions are the fuel that keeps me moving into the unknown.
Answers tend to make me complacent and my ass gets stuck in certainties.
Nothing corrupts like certainty and absolute certainty corrupts absolutely. Doesn’t it?
So how do questions help?
And what kinds of questions are the most helpful?

Who is asking?
What do I know?
What are others telling me?
What is the dominant version of events?
What “facts” are presented as certain and inevitable?
Who benefits from our cooperation with the dominant version of the story?
Where have we heard similar stories told before?
Are there alternate “facts” and stories that are being ignored or marginalized?
Do I know this thing from personal experience?
Have I listened to the stories of people who have personal experience?
Does this narrative contradict things I have experienced personally?
Will this action cause pain or suffering?
Can I do anything to reduce or avoid pain or suffering?
Are there better questions?
Does this challenge my assumptions?
Is this the outcome I expected?
Would I want others to do what I am doing?
What are my motives?
What can I do?
What next?
---------------------------------------
Credits: Words and Collage by Jay Larsen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have the coolest photos.

Jay Larsen said...

There are some pretty cool photos out there on the web. I collect them when I see them and reuse them later.

I wish I had a good method of tracking where I got the photos, so I could credit them all easily.