Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Asphalt Artery


I hit the highway
Just as the sun was rising
It must be my highway
I drive it every day

Turned on the radio
Drive-By Truckers
Started singing country songs
Damn those truckers
Their words make me sad
But I always sing along

Merged with rush-hour traffic
Stayed out of the passing lane
I leave that to the hot heads
Speeding towards their doom
I snuggle in behind a trucker
I keep a steady speed
I try not to complain

In the grass by the on-ramp
I see a lone coyote
He stalks the edge of the asphalt
This must be his on-ramp
But I don’t see him everyday

Coyote isn’t wanted here
The barbed-wire fences prove that
The concrete and the speeding cars
They say, Coyote, Hey Fuck You
But he ignores them
And finds his wild breakfast
Burrowing beneath a sign for Mountain Dew

Me and coyote
We shared a brief encounter
Just as the sun was rising
Must be our highway
Cause we prowl it every day

No comments: