Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lunar Rover


There was an unexpected commotion
In the carport early this morning
Commerce dictated conference connections
But the dog was barking
Wings beat frantically around my head
Terror threatened to spill my travel mug
On the cold concrete of early autumn
But it was only a wood pecker
Sheltering beneath the tin roof
Trying to escape a cold downpour
A rain so severe even I did not want to drive in it

After several heartbeats
Thrum, thrum, thrum
We both regained our equilibrium
Bird and man, staring eye to eye
As we shared a frosty moment
I marveled at woodpecker’s red and black feathers
Perhaps he wondered at my thinning hair
Quiet dog, quit your barking
It’s just an unexpected commotion
In the carport early this morning
No need to wake the others

-------------------------------------

Credits: poetry and collage by Jay Larsen

No comments: