Friday, June 01, 2007

It Was 40 Years Ago Today…



It was 40 years ago today Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play.
The Beatles released Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band on June 1, 1967. Happy Birthday to one of the world’s great albums. I was 4 years old when the album first came out and I don’t claim to remember hearing it that year. But by the time I was 8 and I was actively soaking in all the pop music AM radio could provide, the Beatles were a huge part of my musical education and diet. It is hard for me to imagine a world without the Beatles and their music in it. I can imagine all the people living life in peace, but I can’t imagine not listening to the Beatles. So thank you Fab Four.

Just a bit of trivia: Jesus and Hitler were originally included in the photos shot for the cover, but for some reason these two figures were edited out of the cover shot.

Sgt Pepper’s has been a big influence on several generations of artists. Here is an album insert photo from Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention’s We’re Only In It For The Money. They were going to use it as the cover, but for some reason they did not.

No comments: