Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Through My Car Window



The American automobile is designed to isolate
In the name of freedom we lock ourselves
Into metal cans with powerful engines
We filter and condition the air
We dampen the sound from outside
And fill our movable terrarium with
Stereophonic sounds from CDs, tapes
And radio waves terrestrial and satellite
Then we stop relating to others on the road
As actual human beings like ourselves
And instead we rage and bully our way
Through streets congested with
Asshole Pontiacs and Fucking Dodge Trucks

But even from this vantage point
While listening to the morning news
I managed to see some real people
Through my car window
This is what I saw this morning:
A woman pouring birdseed into a feeder
I can’t imagine she will make a profit doing that
A couple picking up trash as they walked
They weren’t wearing uniforms
So I doubt they were hired by the city
But the city looked better for their efforts
An elderly woman taking a toddler to the park
That couldn’t have been her child
But she was taking him to the park to play

What do you make of that?

-----------------------------

Credits: Words by Jay Larsen
Yes, I really saw those things this morning on my way to work.

No comments: