Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Joys of Business Travel


I was beginning to think I was in a movie with John Candy. I got up a 4 am just so my first flight could sit on the runway for 3 hours before taking off. I missed my connecting flight from Chicago and American Airlines couldn’t get me on another flight to Jacksonville until 4 pm the next day (8 hours after my demonstration was supposed to happen). United had a late flight to Orlando which put me in Florida at 1:30 am. Then I had to drive the rental car to St. Augustine. There was a multi-truck crash that happened right in front of me, trapping me (and many other drivers) on a bridge until the troopers and the tow trucks could clear a lane. I made it to the hotel and 4:30 am. I got 2 hours of sleep and then rushed to make my 8 am appointment with the client. We gave a great presentation. Headed straight for the airport and several planes later made it home at 2 am. So that was a total of 2 hours of sleep in a 46 hour period. But I made it there. The Customer was pleased. And I made it home. It has only taken me 3 days to get caught up on my sleep. Oh, the joys of business travel. I’m just hoping I don’t have to do it again any time soon.

No comments: