Monday, July 02, 2007

Everyday Saints



The Larsen’s had a family reunion at the Zion Ponderosa Ranch in Southern Utah. The “cabin” was a 1.5 million dollar house, but the backdrop of Zion National Park was gorgeous. My dad organized everything and all four of his kids were there, Me, Kathrine, Ronnie and Debbie. And all of our kids were there, Natasha, Terra, Siona, Chani and Sasha. Ronnie brought his significant other, Caryn. And the focus of much attention was Dad’s new fiancé, Carol, who was brave enough to brave all of us.

First off, I love my family. But it was not by accident that I moved a thousand miles away from them. The event drew us all together but if it had lasted one day longer it might have gotten ugly. It was nice to see everybody, but our family brings its own special brand of tension and there were a few flare ups.

The Ranch house was great. The resort had a fantastic pool. And there was a hot tub on the deck. The Utah desert was dry and hot.

Carol was nice. And Carol and Dad seem to genuinely enjoy each other’s company. They are getting married in August, and I wish them all the best, and hope they make a happy couple. My brother doesn’t think the wedding is a good idea, and made his opinion abundantly clear.

It was strange having all of us together without Mom. This is the first time we have all been together since the funeral a year-and-a-half ago. I was curious going in to see if the dynamics would change without Mom. But things go on, pretty much the same. The rest of us are the same, we just miss Mom now.

I think I prefer my relatives in smaller portions, one or two of them at a time. All together we are not good for each other no matter how much we love each other. Don’t get me wrong, nothing tragic happened; no horrible scenes were acted out. We had as good a family reunion as you could expect from my family, and I am grateful for that. But in the end, I think we all disappoint each other in various ways. And I for one do not know how to overcome that.

It is good to be back home, and a thousand miles away, with my wife and children who are to me the best family in the world. Everyone in my extended family is welcome to come and visit us up here in the Great Northwest, one or two of you at a time, please. Or call us on the phone anytime. We love you and want to stay in touch. I just don't want to live in one big house.

No comments: